Sunday 18 May 2014

No dramas lined up for her; Shirley Yeung decides to leave TVB

news from : Source: Apple Daily 
Translated by: Chloe.C @ http://asianuniverse.net/forums

No dramas lined up for her; Shirley Yeung decides to leave TVB 

35 years old this year, Shirley Yeung, who was the 2001 Miss Hong Kong Pageant Champion, was with TVB for 13 years. Her personality is the type that doesn't know how to join the crowd, doesn't know how to bow and scrape to the executives; therefore the chances she's been given by the company has been quite little. In addition to her three sided love rumours with Gregory Lee and Andy Ng, it's been rumoured that the company was not happy with her and resulted in getting frozen. In the past few years, she's continuously requested for some drama roles to the company, but they ignored her wishes. Recently, her contract with TVB has ended. TVB is willing to renew her contract, however the terms were not ideal. After some long and deep thinking, for her daughter, she's decided to take a risk and go out into the free world, and hopes to find her breakthrough. 

Having recently returned to being "freelance", Shirley now does not have TVB as her patron. With no manager, her road ahead is still blurry, she must now depend on herself to earn money to raise her daughter. Yesterday, Shirley accepted an interview with our magazine, and admitted that she and TVB have terminated their contract. Regarding rumours that TVB's renewal contract terms are very harsh, such as a big drop in salary and being kicked out of the manager department, Shirley commented: "My decision to leave has nothing to do with salary. The truth is that it isn't as harsh as the reports say it is. In fact, they even increased my salary, but it's just that we could not come to a consenus in terms of drama filming, so I made this decision in the end."

Don't want to look back

Shirley expressed that she has constantly voiced to the company on her requests to film more dramas, but they never fulfilled her requests. She said: "They say they will try their best and arrange it. These past few years, I haven't had the chance to film any dramas, only been filming variety shows. My youth is limited, I think it is the right time now to try some new things." (Are you disappointed with TVB?) She said: "We should always look forward in life, and not look back and talk about the past. I believe tomorrow will be even better." 

In the past few years, there have been quite a few TVB artistes who have left the company. Other than the salary being low and the lack of chance to grow, was her decision affected by this "trend" of artistes leaving? She replied: "Everyone is their own individual self, I don't think it's really about following the crowd, it's more about seeing what you need. It's just that at this moment in time, I've chosen to try another direction, learn some new things and enrich knowledge." 

Shirley, who is raising her two year old daughter, Krystal Yeung Cheung Wing, by herself, has been struggling with her contract renewal decision for quite some time. She said: "When it's around the time of the contract expiring, you will start thinking of the direction of your path. This decision is like the intersection point of your life. One is a devil, one is an angel, which one should I listen to? But when you've made the decision, then you will feel really relaxed, and you know where you want to go." She expressed that there were quite a few friends who believed that "a big tree is a good shelter", and that not renewing the contract is very risky, but Shirley said: "There are also people who support me, and believes that I can do it. As long as I try my best, no matter where I go, it will be the same. If I take more initiative, I will try and strive for more different jobs." She continued: "In my 13 years with the company, I've learned quite a lot for a period of time. I want to learn some more new things, or go to different places to film and learn from others. You ask me if I'm taking a risk, it certainly may be a challenge. Where there's risk, there's a chance, this is an opportunity." 

Finding opportunities in Mainland

Asked about her future direction, Shirley expressed that she does not have to worry for the moment. There are quite a few jobs being arranged right now, including some management companies who she is discussing with. She even said: "I want to try some new things right now. First of all is filming dramas, so I will go to Mainland to see if there are any dramas I can film. I believe if I open up, opportunities will come." In terms of family, Shirley had already made plans early on: "My mother and I have agreed, for now, my mom will take care of my daughter. Technology is advanced now, we can chat on the phone, so I will know what is happening with my daughter."

No comments:

Post a Comment