Thursday 8 March 2012

Charmaine Sheh: A Chick turned Phoenix

Credit ; Source: Oriental Daily
Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net/forums/ 

Charmaine Sheh: A Chick turned Phoenix

As a TV Queen level actress Charmaine Sheh of course has the acting ability! However, she's a 'chicken voice' turned actress with ability. Charmaine said she put in a lot of hard work into [her career]. Although her acting was once criticized and she initially thought acting wasn't for her, but after her 'see fu jai' (mentor) Sunny Chan taught her about acting, she gradually started to understand the concept. 

CHARMAINE: I signed with TVB right after participating in Miss Hong Kong. I was lucky to have had the opportunity to participate in many series not long after. I remember at the time I was still at a charity event and received a notice from TVB. I was asked if I was interested to shoot producer Lee Tim Shing's Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain (FFSM) and play the role Miu Yeuk Lan. Honestly, I really didn't know if I had interest or not, I just agreed thinking I would just give it a try. 

Virgina Yung and Anita Chan auditioned with me at the time, the lead actor was Sunny Chan, who was personally there to do the sentimental scenes with us. I was very nervous, so the night before the audition, I asked friends to practice with me and they pretended to be Sunny. I never thought I would qualify, I really was happy! However, even before FFSM started shooting, TVB scheduled me to shoot modern series Time Off. I gained a lot of experience from that series, in order to be able to handle FFSM. However, I had no idea how to act, basically I didn't even know about the camera angles and positioning. They even told me to pretend to cry in the studio, I really couldn't get into character. My role was already married, but in fact I only dated once and so I really didn't know how to do portray the role. 

When speaking of my experience of criticisms, at the time when FFSM broadcast, people criticized that I had a chicken voice. I really felt down, I was thinking why are people criticizing me? I didn't know how to act, but I tried my best and done a lot of research. Even if I didn't like martial art novels, I still read them and at that time I really felt that was awesome, but the results ended up being like this. So, I thought to myself if the entertainment circle was really for me? But, that was just a moment of thought because I didn't have time to really go think about it. Before FFSM aired, I already received noticed that I would be shooting another series with Felix Wong and Cheung Tat Ming. A week after that series started, I was suddenly casted in a 50-episode long series (DIF4) and encountered Sunny Chan again. 

When I had no confidence on my own acting, Sunny came to my rescue. Although some people say he talks too much, but to me he told me everything about acting. Acting is not that easy, you have to be into character. He taught me how to cry and ended up being a crybaby himself. At the time, I thought: "Is it really that touching?" But whatever it is, it was also because of Sunny's patience in teaching me that I started to have interest in acting. So, he is definitely my mentor, a See Fu Jai!"

No comments:

Post a Comment